Re: Re: Anyone playing 2.0?

From: David Gadbois <gadbois_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:59:41 -0500

David Dunham wrote:

>> 1. Add some indication that the first action of the current season has been performed already.  I often play for a while, get interrupted, and don't pick up the game for several days.  It's hard to get re-oriented especially when an action does not leave an indicator in the saga.

> Hmm, first time that's been requested.

Well, the new mobility of the game makes a huge difference in how you play it. Rather than sitting at a computer for hours, I'm finding myself playing for a few minutes whenever I get a chance.

> What's the context?

Imagine coming back to the game in Sea or Fire season after not having played for a while. Did I burn the first action doing some non-saga impacting action like recruiting weaponthanes? Did I allocate magic to trade so I can send off a trade caravan? That sort of thing.

Bryan also gave some excellent examples that I +1.

> As you know, screen real estate is tight, and it may be easier to add it to advice.

Maybe some coloration or rotation of the motion wheel on the main screen?

>> 2. Have a report (maybe at the beginning of the year's saga?) of how magic was allocated.  Same use case as for 1.

> Advisors tell you about the more interesting allocations (War and Quests, frex). Is there another one that makes a difference?

Trade and relations -- I generally won't send out caravans or emissaries if I haven't allocated points to them. Ditto for mysteries. It mostly makes a difference early in the game when magic is tight.

Worst case, I can restart the year if I have no idea what is going on. But that stinks if there was a fun and/or beneficial event.

Also, advisors are fine, but it is a pain to have to click through to a bunch of different screens to get re-oriented enough to make the decision about what to do next. If 30 seconds of my two minutes of play-time are taken up with getting re-oriented, that's not much fun.

--David