Re: New to the group with some possibly dumb questions...

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 14:08:24 -0400

Good to see the list isn't dead — Yahoo seems to have made a number of changes for the worse.

Ring composition is the most variable factor for determining annual clan magic (for example, you really want to have 7 members). Certain treasures can impact it as well. As always, check your advisors (I know this got expanded in November for the iOS version).

Heroquests are inherently uncertain (which, because they are on the Other Side, means they are risky). When I drove home from the store today, I knew exactly how to get in the special left turn lane, which had a green arrow. Except the street was blocked! Unlucky roll, I guess.

There are various ways to reduce the risk, usually spelled out in the manual. You may note that season is not mentioned in the manual.

> * I've noticed that the map is a hex-grid map. When I explore a target area, am I specifically exploring one hex-grid space, or every space between my Tula and the target space?

You'll be focusing your effort on the spot you choose (such as Kero Fin). But naturally you have to pass through other spots on the way there.

And speaking of the manual, “Slow missions are even safer.”

> I realize I may be trying to apply a strategy-game mentality to a game which primarily encourages a "no best answer" attitude, so I apologize if I'm missing the point of the game.

Heroquests often do have a best answer, which is to match the myth exactly. (Hints can remind you of this.) What you won't find are guaranteed results, and you'll be trading off various consequences (do I keep the cows or piss off my neighboring clan?).

> Note that my responses are based on the final Mac version of the game, not the iOS version.

You're not going to find substantive changes in game play. Mostly tweaks and new content.

Speaking of iOS, Apple has flagged King of Dragon Pass as “What’s Hot’ in iPad strategy games and role playing games! However, we recently put out an update, which hides reviews and ratings. So if you get the chance, please rate the new build.

David Dunham http://a-sharp.com Twitter: _at_KingDragonPass