Exploring apparently has hidden requirements?

From: question2005_at_...
Date: 10 Feb 2015 04:49:12 -0800

I did several dozen save/reloads after sending exploration teams into the dragonnewt wildlands, and i only got the standard 3 encounters :

-Everyone dies

-Party is attacked while transferring temple treasure, some survive

-Party is attacked while transferring temple treasure, everyone except the leader dies

Party consisted of a Vingan leader with "good" in most skills, 1 weaponthane, 30 footmen and set to "slow" speed, during fire season.

I did more than two dozen reloads and could not get any of the treasures like the dragontooth spear. This was when i started suspecting that some treasures might have hidden requirements, like a minimum sized party, etc.

I used cheat engine, gave that same vingan leader very high stats (according to cheat engine, heroic starts at about 2.3, i gave her 3s in all stats) and i sent her with 48 weapon thanes and 30 footmen. Almost every encounter resulted in gaining a treasure. Sometimes i got the temple goods encounter, but the dragon newts didnt attack (probably because the party was too large). I never got an encounter where the party was attacked.

I tried sending my normal elmal warleader which had heroic combat (2.55 according to cheat engine) and excellent or above in most of his other skills with the same number of weapon thanes/footmen, and i still couldnt get a single treasure. However i did manage to get the encounters where the dragon newts just watched but didnt attack, so clearly party size plays a huge factor. But what i found really surprising is that a heroic combat war leader with excellent stats couldnt get any treasures either.

So i played around with the stats on the vingan leader again. I set all of her stats to 2.55 (heroic) and i STILL couldnt get the treasure, athough it did ensure that she never got attacked by the dragon newts. Changed them back to 3 in all stats and yup, she got a treasure in the first 3 tries.

I dont know which of her stats is affecting the chance to find a treasure, it might be all of them for all i know, but whats worrying is that even a very high skill level of 2.55 cant get any treasure. Heroic starts at a value of about 2.3, and completing orlanth and aroka seems to bump up your stats by about 0.05 each time...so that basically means that its impossible to get to 3 in a skill without cheating.

I guess there might be some other hidden requirements affecting it, but since the game doesnt actually tell you what they are...good luck.

Unless any of the devs can shed some light on this?