Re: Re: "Transient Allies & Mercs"

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 10:07:13 +0000 (GMT)

I'm impressed!

> Hmmmm. Humakti don't seem a particularly patriotic
> lot, do they?

Nope. Well, with exceptions (like the Household of Death). And assuming we're ignoring the re-sheathed Humakti, as they just get lumped in with the rest of their clan warriors in these numbers.

> I guess if they come freely, they'll come for death
> and glory, not for Sartar.

Death, glory, and cash.
Although quite a lot of Humakti PCs seem to have a "hate Lunars" ability for some reason.

You might get some bunch of weirdos deciding that honour demands that they join in the fun, and insisting on being hired, at a clack a season if necessary.

> 1) he probably has been using mercenaries for some
> time, and

yes: I wonder if he gets repeat hires? What do they think of him as an employer?

> 2) the treasury's not too flush.

And raising taxes isn't going to help :(

> Bit of risk, when you're being
> asked to face off the Lunar Empire. :) Would your
> humakti take it?

Lands? What would Humakti do with them?

Thing is, mercenaries need to be employed by *somebody*. Who else is hiring? Given a choice of Broyan or the Lunars?

> Or are the Volsaxi loyalists taxing the cottars and
> raiding their enemies for loot?

Well, obviously! In fact you could send small groups of adventurers off on treasure-grabbing expeditions, all those old treasure maps that no-one's bothered with for ages, maybe even quite long journeys to places supposedly rich in loot... hang on, does this remind me of anything?

Jane Williams