Re: Re: Larnsti and other topics

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 18:25:44 +0100 (CET)

>> AFAIK the Larnsti were part of the pre-pharaohic kingdom but
>> sidelined when Andrin became King for the second time.  How
>> Broyan ever makes use or contact with them is unknown
>> although I dare suspect that he was trying for some mobility
>> connection.

> Do they trace back to Hendreik the Free (or whatever he called
> himself)? This is as good of a time as any to try to pin those
> shifty Larnsti.

That's how Peter introduced them, yes.

>> The Larnsti motivations are pretty much up in the air.  I do not
>> believe they are aiming for the return of the pre-pharaohic
>> kingdom has that has been something that has already happened
>> while they exist for change.

> If they are Hendreik's heroband, maybe they are simply the defenders
> of Hendreiki liberties. Or something like that.

Something like that. Change for preservation.

Me, I'm willing to keep a group of Larnsti as trainers of Andrinic Sheriffs (if they keep moving around, I doubt they can take a sedentary office, but they can take "Padawan" pupils and teach them interaction with the clans or what became of them).

I'd suggest that one dissident group of Larnsti shunned Andrin's reforms and became protectors of the Volsaxar High King, and installed this custom of 25 Larnsti as royal bodyguards.

> I'm trying to get
> a handle on them and they keep shifting!

That's the Larnsti in a nutshell, yes. Might be a Palangio quote! :)

>> I think a more complicated set of affairs than the simple division
>> between Dara Happans and Tarshites is happening here.  A major
>> factor is the feud between Tatius and Fazzur but a clean split
>> of allegiances over this matter is unlikely.

> I agree - there is no clean split over Whitewall.

I agree - the dart competition between Assiday and Fazzurites has started a lot earlier (1605, after the Building Wall Battle), and mustn't be to the detriment of the Empire. There might also be a rivalry between Imperial Lunar College of Magic and Moirades' Tarshite school of Lunar Magics (which accounted for Terasarin's Death, among other feats, and is headed by Fazzur's brother).

> But cracks become
> visible. John has an excellent thematic idea that much of the
> future history of DP can be staged in WW. I guess Maniskisson and
> Kallyr don't get along.

Apart from the Foodman thing, or is this Dragonspear (of RQ2 examples and Biturian's story) with the Giant's Drinking Cauldron?

> BTW, I have a recommendation - the Maniskisson role should be
> reserved for player characters.

While I basically agree, this makes describing the antipathies between Maniskisson and Kallyr a bit complicated. Unless the hapless Maniskisson character is set up to end at odds with Kallyr in a string of scenarios...

My estimate is that about three to five future Argraths (besides Kallyr and Broyan) are involved in the Siege of Whitewall. Most likely not Sharpsword, Enostar Bad-Dream or White Bull, although the latter might be part of the Krise company, if we take that from RQA.

I'll collect a file on the known facts of the Larnsti - we might as well start with them as a model heroband.