Re: Larnsti and other topics

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 19:43:25 -0000

Alex:
> I think there's enough ambiguity in the Dara Happan myths that
Umath and
> Orlanth are substitutable. (Indeed I think GRAY in at least one
place
> identifies RT as Umatum.) At least to a degree; argue about sit-
mods
> to taste...

I think that is right - to the DH, Orlanth and Umath are substitutable. However, when Shargash defeats Umath, he does not defeat the Rebel Gods or the Storm Gods. In fact, soon after that, Rebellus Terminus kills Muharazum (or Yelm depending on your version).

Of course, if we want to be really really really devious, the Emperor knows that the Kill Orlanth project will fail (as Shargash ultimately did) and the Orlanthi will (as a result) destroy the current Empire and the Red Moon. And that is what he wants, so that he can bring upon the White Moon.....

But I don't think that we should be that devious. At least in our main storyline.

> I don't imagine there's a a myth about killing Orlanth in an way
that's
> any more monomythically identifiable as Big O as such. After all,
in
> Orlanthi myth he never 'dies'...

No, but there are plenty of Orlanth substitutes who die. Vingkot? Shoot, I wish I had GRoY handy.

Jeff