Re: FOUNDATION DOC: Forces and Numbers

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 03:54:17 -0000

> I'm wondering about the balance here. Fazzur is Tarshite, and his
> forces, at least during Starbrow, were based around his Tarshite
> clan.

Fazzur is also a Sylilite noble, or at least has significant holdings up north.

> According to CHDP Pharandros (the text says Moriades, but he's
> dead by then)

Do you still trust CHDP? Check DP:LoT for Tarshite kingship, must be around page 8.

> "ordered his troops and generals to help Fazzur". Note
> the imperative - there's already a lot of jealousy over Fazzur's
> ride to glory during Starbrow.

I think the troops in the Far Point were meant.

> "Shortly afterwards the emperor ordered regular (as opposed to
> irregular'? ) imperial (as opposed to 'provincial?') troops to
> Fazzur's command as well."

Regular as Professional, opposed to Militia.

> Now core Tarsh has been part of the Empire for over a century. My
> thought is that most of the initial troops, even if organised and
> trained along Heartland lines, would be Tarshite, with the exception
> of the Emperor's 'gift'.

Fazzur brings his household Tarshite cavalry, commanded by veterans of his 1605 and 1610 successes, and possibly some peltasts from his Sylilan holdings. Junior King Pharandros adds the usual Tarshite militia units, and quite probably the magicians who had killed Terasarin in 1600. Some militia from Aggar and Holay might be in it, too, but I agree that his initial force will have been mostly Provincial.

The Imperial forces against Kallyr could have come from Wulfsland, Moonbroth and up the Oslir. A hefty contingent of Sable cavalry surely would have helped.

But that's 1613, after the fortunate death of Euglyptus. Fazzur is named (half?) General of the Provincial Army, and the Tarshite occupation forces are replaced by Heartland troops. Heartland officers like Jorkandros Blinder are added to his command.

The 1619 invasion started only after severe Tarshite lobbying in Glamour. What made it possible might have been the Assiday family under Tatius encouraging this opportunity to place their new Temple deeply in the south.

Tarsh War suggests that the Lunar forces took a somewhat westerly course across the Dragonspine. The initial invasion may have gone up the Branvale.

> After the bat blat, of course, things change drastically.

Remember that the Bat blat occurred under Dara Happan command already.

>> I also think that Fazzur would be more than happy to keep as many  DH
>> troops out of the limelight (and loot, etc) of the main invasion of
>> Heortland and would certainly like to keep his huscarls close to
>> himself.

> I agree with this, with a proviso - **assuming** Fazzur can persuade
> the imperial commanders to take on Broyan. The country was weakened
> by civil war, and CHDP tells us Fazzur was welcomed as a liberator
> at Karse.

Not quite - the non-combatants cheered his order to the dragonewt mercenaries only to kill the defenders. Remember Boldhome...

> It seems the invasion was considered to be a bit of a cake
> run. Would an Inperious Yelmie general want to go chasing rebels in
> the hills when he could be leading a parade?

The cake run was made possible by Fazzur's superior logistics and the fact that the Volsaxi army was holed up at Whitewall.

> So Fazzur wants the imperials at Whitewall, while he has his parade.

IMO Fazzur took only the troops that could match is marching speed to Karse, and left the slower troops (and officers) at Whitewall.

> The more powerful Heartlander generals want a quick victory then a
> parade. Broyan was always going to be a bit of a nuisance - we'd
> already been holed up in WW for a couple of years. So I suspect the
> initial troops at Whitewall were competent, but low of the social
> ladder.

Competent enough to keep Broyan inside the walls while some group of officials and missionaries harried the countryside. The drowning of the Concubines at Chormsford lead to additional Lunar forces swarming the Kultain lands, possibly recalling some of the mobile forces Fazzur  had brought to Karse.

I doubt he had forced any sea access in Heortland - neither Ramsleap nor Jansholm appear likely to have given him access past the Solthi.

The Lunar sea force either came via Corflu, or as "traders" via Nochet. Two years later see Fazzur constructing a Lunar Temple in Nochet, cooperating with Queen Hendira.