Re: FOUNDATION DOC: Forces and Numbers

From: dzo01 <dzo_at_...>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 22:09:12 -0000

Gian:
> No, I disagree with the heavy Dara Happans numbers and
> even command. I even think that the marble phalanx at
> Pavis is controversial, but in this instance I would
> not say that a Polaris General would appear with a
> whole DH regiment to attack WW in 1619. There are just
> three DH tradtional phalanxes in the whole Lunar Army.
> The Provincial Army HQ is not so stoopid as to waste
> one in assaulting a fortified city (what help would an
> hoplite force be in attacking a city? Use up those
> highlanders, axemen and maybe a Pelandan half regiment
> and just show off some antelope lancer squadron to
> scary off the hairies).
> No, to me Jorkandros is a Sairdite. Those pesky
> Alakoring Commanders are useful to fight Heortlings
> since they are not scared by those boastful screams!
> Let the Buserians around (as advisors and monitors)
> anyway. They are a damn good dramatical device.

Well, according to Peter in one of the earlier posts Jorkandros is from Yuthuppa - which is what got me thinking about the Buserians and Polaris. So, that at least is canon. I'm not completely wedded to the idea that a phalanx was there, but I think it would emphasise the ad hoc nature of the origional WW besieging force and reinforce the dramatic differences that happen during the course of the siege as things get more and more serious and important to both sides.

Afterall, the origional idea of the siege was to keep Broyan and his pesky Heortling penned up while the main army went on to the richer pickings down south. A phalanx might be not great at taking a city, but it is damned good at keeping people in!

> > I also think that Fazzur would be more than happy to
> > keep as many DH
> > troops out of the limelight (and loot, etc) of the
> > main invasion of
> > Heortland and would certainly like to keep his
> > huscarls close to
> > himself.
>
> mh. The main invasion of heortland comes from the
> coast (IMO). The only elite forces are used up there,
> I think. They have mounted a grand surprise attack all
> the way from Moonbroth and Corflu. They are
> well-prepared, not so big in number (because they are
> ship-freight and surprise attackers) and disciplined.
> This sounds to me as a modern Lunar unit or two. Maybe
> even Aronius Jaranthir knights (a squadron) because
> they need to scary the Aeolian and Malkioni lords in
> Coastal Heortland.

Well, we have a different idea of the invasion. I think that the main thrust came from Fazzur's forces and the forces from Corflu were an excellent strategic ploy to attack the enemy's lightly defended rear. But this worked only in concert with the main thrust from the north. Still, lets agree to differ on this one.

> > Also, who are the "7 of Vistor". Do we have any
> > other info on
> > them? Should they be classed in the magicians
> > section or in the
> > siege train?
>
> definetly a Lunar unit. Modern and flexible. Maybe
> both Magician and Siege light Unit (light in
> comparison to the heavy craters)

True, but what style? Theists, wizards? I think they have the potential to be a interesting "heroband". I would go for the sorcery myself, they don't seem to me to be connected with earth cults in anyway (for throwing up ramps using daimons) so maybe a sorcerous "engineering" division using their knowledge of "perfect geometry" and essences to build things - a ramp is just one side of a triangle after all.

<Lots of good stuff on numbers snipped>.

Yak