Re: Re: A stab at the geology

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 12:34:47 +0000 (GMT)

> feldspars can deterioate into in situ
> clays. That would
> weaken the surface formation but give you finest
> Whitewall china! Er... nevermind.

Sounds like quite a nice idea to me. One of those oddities that makes the place a bit more than just an impregnable fort. If it's compatible with the other ideas (and my geology isn't up to understanding whether it is or not), let's go for it.

No doubt the interesting geology makes it a good place to grow certain weird and rare herbs, too.

> quartzite...made for a very pure water to
> trickle down
> into the peat bogs north of Laphroaig,

So we get pure water, *and* peat bogs? And a decent malt? Or am I adding two and two and getting seven? So *that's* how you keep morale levels up enough to stay put when the bat arrives :)

> Imagine the plateau on which
> Whitewall stands to be the end of a giant bone,
> thrust slightly out
> of the ground. Now, the endless procession of myth
> and time has
> weathered this down to plateau-like form.
>
> The top of the plateau is therefore a cross-section
> across the mighty bone.

OK. I understood this. I like it.

> The hard outer edges of this bone can be a
> nice white rock,
> strong if that is what people wish.

"Strong" is good. "Shiny" and "pretty" would also be advantages.

> *folks, pegmatite means a rock with very big
> crystals.

"Shiny"? "Pretty"?

> So we have all the rocks people like, a mix of
> strength, aesthetic
> appeal and cool tunnels... compounded by a very
> simple mythological
> basis: Jajagappa buried his bone here and forgot
> about it.

Yeah! Though no doubt there are many other mythological source of Bone that might be of more use in our myth-making. Tying it to the Storm Tribe would be a good idea, if we're trying to identify the whole place with Orlanth.

Jane Williams