Re: Whitewall 15 y.o. Dandelion Cask Special Reserve

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 13:16:32 +0000 (GMT)

> Ta! Bizarrely enough, kaolin--'china clay' and a
> product of
> feldspathic erosion--is the key component of Fine
> Bone China. Seems
> to take on a new resonance... though 'China' needs
> work. :)

"Porcelain" is perhaps a slight improvement?

> > No doubt the interesting geology makes it a good
> place
> > to grow certain weird and rare herbs, too.
>
> Sure, gods' marrow is very nutritious (I'm told...).

We're looking at alkaline soils, I take it? (Off to read up on / invent fun herbs...)

> Sadly, the peat bogs overlay <deep breath>
> impermeable greenschist
> facies pelites, or metamorphosed marine muds and
> silts.

"Hard bits"?

> That stops the water draining away,

I suppose you'd need that.

> So if people
> are happy having localised bogs at the foot of
> Whitewall, you could
> certainly get the right conditions.

Well, *do* we have bogs at the foot of Whitewall? In fact, what do we have? Nice level plains suitable for chariots to play on? Nasty up&down stuff full of streams? Far too many dry stone walls, as per Aran? These things may have some effect on the Lunar army?

(The tale of some Persian bod or other carefully clearing the proposed battlefield of stones, ready for his chariots the next day, has made a deep impression on me. A job for some lowly Lunar PCs.)

> Of course, many fairly contest the presence of
> certain types of
> distilled liquors in Glorantha.

And this probably isn't the place for them, really. I've had my fun with peat bogs and stills and undead elsewhere, let's leave alcohol as something that's imported.

> Sadly, Jane, from a purely geological point of view,
> a harder shell
> would invalidate much of the comments regarding
> springs on the sides
> of Whitewall, of access to the Lunars.

Drat :(

> However a very large fissure
> in the 'outer bone' would allow water to surge
> through, no doubt, and
> possibly provide a point of access to softer
> marrow... or even tunnels...

That'll do! And fissures can be created...

Jane Williams