RE: Broyan's family

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 11:08:42 -0800

 > Speaking of non-combatants, what do we know about  > Broyan's family?

        We really don't know much. Presumably, Broyan initially worshipped Vingkot Victorious as a subcult of Orlanth Thunderous. He's got a powerful soul-wind and is excellent with both close combat (spear and sword) and ranged combat (javelins). Broyan has "several Wind Daimon servants" that are connected to Orlanth.

        From this, I think it is safe to say he has a STRONG Thunderous background - probably blessed by the gods at a young age. Maybe he could call on his personal wind before his initiation (like Rastalulf) or maybe got his personal wind during his initiation (like Lokomayadon)? Broyan should have all the signs of being a great Orlanthi hero early on. Take a look at Enclosure 2 for what that might be like. I don't know what is publicly known about Lokomoko's youth, but he is another good example of someone "fated for greatness". He should be able speak words of power, command the winds and storms (not as a feat but as followers). That sort of stuff.

> Presumably he has, or had, parents.

        Yep. I know nothing about them. Given the Vingkot angle, he should be able to trace his descent to Hendreik and back to Vingkot. Maybe the Garanvuli are a Kodigvari remnant (which lets him claim descent from the royal house of the Vingkotlings). Of course, most of this geneaology is magical.

> Siblings?

        No, I don't think so. Maybe half-siblings. Like Vingkot....

        > How about a wife and children?

        No. I think it is magically important that he is not married and does not have any heirs. I don't know the reason yet. Maybe he has not found his Summer and/or Winter Wife. Maybe he divorced his wife in order to fulfill his destiny ("Broyan - you can preserve the Freedom of the Hendreiki, but can have no wife or family"). Maybe he is just doomed - but I think it is important that he is the end of his line. No Broyanssons or daughters out there.

> Let's not do the "he did have but the Lunars killed
> them and that's why he hates...." cliche, please?

         Not at all. In fact, I don't think Broyan has a particular animus against the Lunars per se. He wants Freedom. And the Lunars better not get in his way....

        Jeff