RE: Re: CHARACTERS: Broyan

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 16:21:38 -0800

>Maybe, or is Broyan suggesting that they no longer 'live' in
>Whitewall but in their short world. So they can still be on the
>walls by day, fighting the odd duel to convice the Lunars they are
>still there but Whitewall is not their fortress - the other side is.
>As the last of the defenders who cannot gain access that short world
>leave they may increasingly spend more time there. So 1621 becomes
>more of a date at which the mass of defenders becomes the final few.

Ian - the short-world idea is a brilliant save. John, please run this by Greg. This makes great dramatic and story-telling sense. And it still gives the Lunars an empty victory - but it gives the Orlanthi something they have to do.

> > After Whitewall, I think Broyan has successfully identified
> > himself as a Vingkotling ruler (maybe even a Kodigvari
Hidden

	King).

> > This changes much of the political geography in Kethaela -
and
> > Kerofinela. It also probably gives Broyan a way out of the
Larnsti
> > limitation - since I think the Hidden Kings were actually
the
> > inspiration for Hendreik (and thus Larnsti themselves).
> Nice chain of thinking. Not thought of the Hidden Kings this
way
> before. I assumed they were just folks who turned from
Orlanth to
> worship spirits when he was dead and in the underworld. But I
prefer
> your direction.
Thanks! My hope is that with Broyan and the Larnsti we can
spelunk through Vingkotling legends and myths. Especially the "how we survived the Darkness" myths. Broyan - like the Hidden Kings - isn't strong enough to end the darkness. But he can show us how to survive it.

> > I like this! Or maybe he sidestepped it altogether as the
> > Hidden King? Remember, many of these limitations may be
changed or

> > eliminated as a result of Whitewall and Iceland.
> Or consinder that if Larnsti do one thing it is to change,
though it

> always seem to be with a price (maybe you have great powers

> escape your foes but few to hold ground). Broyan may be able
to buy

> off the 'never leave Heortland' geas with another. Isn't this
what

> Sartar does. For Sartar 'never leave' becomes 'never return'.

        I like the idea that there is a price to change. Broyan gets the power to resist the Lunars and (ultimately) free his people, but it comes with a very high price.

> > Most Larnsti have no Sartar-like changing magics, - instead
> > they are each the near-equivalent of a clan champion and
have an

	> >  Escape ability (which is presumably a magical affinity).

> > This makes me believe that the Spirit of Hendreik is the
main
> > source of cool Larnsti magic.
> Works for me.
Cool. Maybe we should start fleshing out the heroband, ala
MoLaD.

> The question of whether the 23 bodies are significant remains
though.

        Yep. Don't know how yet. But we will.

        Jeff