Re: Jorkandros, lunar command, etc...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 02:08:51 +0000

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 08:58:14PM +0000, Jane Williams wrote:
> A question for you people who understand all these New
> Gods (new in HW?Q, that is), and how they relate to
> the old ones. As I understand it, the guy who used to
> be called Polaris in Orlanthi society as well as in
> Lunar society has now been renamed Rigsdal. Is he in
> fact the same god, or not?

To be fair about the Gregging (for once), I don't think there was even much of an indication he was known as Polaris to the Heortlings, so much as no indication of any name other than Polaris/Pole Star for 'im... (The old Prospaedia does say specifically 'Yelm Pantheon', frex.)

> And if he is, just how much is it going to upset
> Polaris-controled Lunar command when a powerful
> Rigsdal worshipper shows up on the Orlanthi side?

Depends. Is she smacking him over a head with a nastily pointy spear at the time? ;-)

To duck the Big Transcendent Truths (which'd leave us wondering if Mastakos was 'really the same' as Uleria, to take an extreme case), I think it depends on one's take on what Kallyr's precise relationship with the star is (and at this point in time too, before certain later stellar shenanigans). Objectively yes, you'd imagine that the DH cult is the 'superior understanding' of the celestial body, but it's far from impossible that the Rigsdal cult holds some secrets that the P. cult is haughtily oblivious too.

Personally I do wonder how well Polaris' magic, organising a balletically precise movement of a symphony of interconnected but separately moving military parts works with _any_ Orlanthi within several hundred miles, but that's another matter.