Re: Possible girlfriend for Broyan

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 19:53:15 -0000

> I know very little about the Esluvari. Can we use her
> as a means of showing of what they're all about, and
> how they differ from the Sartarites? They must *have*
> strong points, after all, even if this one looks like
> a drip at first glance.

I think she just needed a crisis in order to focus herself.

My impression about the Esluvari are that they worship Orlanth and his crew through misapplied worship as Saints. The RW analogue I always picture (how accurate it is I don't know) are the Normans. They were once fellow Heortlings but now they've mostly converted. They would have some standards of chivarly, etc. though probably not as highly developed as true Westerners.

I love the mental image of Melisande's spurned fiance riding up every morning to the ramp into Whitewall and calling a challenge up to Broyan to come down and fight him like a man. Meanwhile the Lunars and the defenders are all laughing at him behind his back. He's a right git but he's living by his code. Could Broyan ignore the challenges or does he occassionally send down a champion to duke it out?

Oliver