RE: Digest Number 23

From: Guy Jobbins <g.jobbins_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:53:00 +0200

> From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
>Subject: Herobands

>I know Guy Jobbins has joined the group, but I don't

>know if he's keeping up with all this. Guy? How about
>letting the Herewardi loose on the public? >

Hi folks,

I'm on my third day at a new job down here in sinai, so my ability to follow a list as fast-paced as this is limited - as jane can tell you i'm not even managing to cope with our pbem at the moment.

Anyway, i'll try to keep up as best i can because i agree with john & jeff & other people beginning with j that whitewall is a seminal event. my own campaign has a lot of backstory set there, i plan to run a flashback scenario set there, and i've also been quietly working on a freeform for the last few months. (so far as the freeform goes - i think its a neat potential game, but i'll simply ditch my limited progress in favour of what is produced on this list and then pick it up in future with whoever else is interested).

I'll not be active on this list for at least a month, given my other commitments, but i'll try to follow progress. Jane, could you be the designated driver for hereward, at least so far as known background material goes? I can prepare more detailed stuff for you as time goes on.

> We've

>already got being almost wiped out at Whitewall in
>their backstory, after all.

I think that players have overestimated casualties suffered by the temple. We know that the temple currently has aroud 30 members, at least 5 of whom have been recruited since retreating from Whitewall in late storm season 1620. The temple numbered no more than 100 at the beginning of Whitewall, is my guess. I'd say 75% casualties.

We know some other things for sure:

* the temple retreated from Whitewall well before the end of the seige
* there is a sense of failure, which to me implies a loss of honour rather than simply the suffering of casualties
* Hundredthane Selled Brightspear is reviled

Jane - we need to decide whether to leave some ambiguity about the events surrounding the herewardi action, and then run the flashback game, or whether to simply to collaborate as a gaming group to create background material.... It depends what the timeline for the products of this list are. Is there enough time to generate material from play, especially given the pace of pbem gaming?

Ack - time to get back to work.

Best wishes to all,

Guy