Re: Re: Melisande, Narib, et al.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 00:28:54 +1300

At 11:09 AM 3/10/04 +0000, you wrote:
>Peter Metcalfe

> > Except that there's far too few Rokari to actually make a stab
> > at conquering anything in Heortland and so the oppressive crusading
> > theory doesn't ring true.

>Rikard takes the Heortland crown. That's a given. So it must be
>possible.

There are other alternatives besides seizing the crown by force of arms.

>Rikard's assumption of
>the throne, and his role as a Rokari crusader are established facts
>since G:CoHW.

Where is his role as a Rokari crusader an established fact? Insofar as I could find out anything about Rikard through truffling through Greg's wastepaper basket, I was downhearted to see repeated flip-flopping over the issue (Rikard is an Aeolian, No he isn't. Rikard is a member of the army of Tomorrow. No, he isn't). I gave up trying to suss out Rikard before membership of Black Arkat was bandied about.

> >Moreover the only Rokari that can provide support to the
> >Heortlanders are the unfanatical and corrupt Quinpolic
> >league.

>Why?

Look at a map. Seshnela doesn't have a navy capable of reaching Heortland while the only people that can is the Quinpolic League.

>HQ Voices or the Homeland write up, I forget which suggests
>that crusading in Heortland is as viable as Europeans heading to
>Outremer.

Which does not mean that the only Malkioni crusading in Heortland are Rokari as evidenced by the Army of Tomorrow. Because of the pluralism among the Malkioni in Heortland, a strict Rokari crusade is impossible.

> > Moreover the Lunars are explicitly appointing Malkioni sherifs in
> > many parts of Heortland (Baron Sanuel for example was a Trader
> > Prince) so the whole picture is extremely confused.

>Agreed, but that is the point. Following Rikard's overthrew the
>alliance of former enemies forged between the Esvulari and Broyan
>against may decay, leading to tensions within the citadel.

Why does Broyan, an ultratraditionalist, want to forge an alliance with the Esvulari? Why can't it be, for example, PCs seeking any sort of help hiring Sir Narib's Company? They turn up much to Broyan's shock and hang around a few weeks before being told to leave. Hanging everything on Broyan is reducing the PCs to mere spectators IMO.

--Peter Metcalfe