"Men of Whitewall, lie ye dreaming...

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:04:02 -0000

...see ye not their scimitars gleaming?
Crimson banners proudly streaming,
Billow in the storm.

"Men of Whitewall, stand ye ready,

It shall not be ever said ye
For this battle were not ready,
Whitewall will ne'er yield!"

"From the tor rebounding!

Let this war cry sounding!
Summon all, to Broyan's call,
The moonshone foe surrounding!

"Men of Whitewall, to the walls tend,

This will ever be your legend
Sing these words 'til our breaths' end
Orlanth will ne'er yield!"

(Apologies for the sexism, but it fit better with the title)

I was going to post a rather different mail, when this popped into my head. And wouldn't go away! It struck me that we needed a song, and I really, really couldn't think of a better starting point than 'Men of Harlech'. So we definitely need a really good skald!

Anyway, I was going to write a brief post on the dramatic influences of sieges/assaults in film beyond the ancient-medieval paradigm, especially for those of us who like a bit of techicolour derring do. "55 Days at Peking" was going to come up, but then thoughts turned to "Zulu"... and I think you can guess what happened next.

Stu.

P.S. For those wondering what happened to the *1st* Quackford Suicide Drakes, all I can say is <sniff> "They did their duty..."