Myths of sustenance

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 23:00:50 -0000

Hi folks,

I thought I'd raise this point again, as I'd buried it at the bottom of a Moo Cow reply...

The Maasai rival the Heortlings in the number and importance of their cattle (unless a certain Carl Peters is around) in tribal life. Yet they possess a different view on the benefits of the animals--in terms of food--during their lives. In addition to milk, they collect cows' blood, punturing the neck flesh with an implement, and draining it into a gourd.

This blood is frequently mixed with milk, following long held beliefs that this food makes them hale and strong. Blood can be withdrawn from cattle moderately frequently (every few weeks or so), and the wounds are carefully closed afterwards.

If we work on John's idea of bringing cattle into Whitewall itself (how you nourish those is a different matter), such a practice would provide a ready source of sustenance for the defenders and their charges, exacerbated by many levels when we give resort to myths and magic. Such might confound the Lunar besiegers, who would think the defenders long starved and weakened.

Can any with a better knowledge of Orlanthi mythology than I (which isn't exactly difficult) suggest or create a myth that would give this practice a corresponding resonance and power? A myth of dark days in the past, when warriors guarding the herds were stripped of food, beyond that which they guarded, yet could not kill?

Some recourse to the blessings of Uralda and Nevala etc. would be super.

Thanks folks,

Stu.