RE: Re: PEOPLE: Broyan and the Larnsti

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:30:26 -0800

Peter -

Let's not get hung up on rulesy descriptions of Larnsti worshipping Hendreik (and Larnste) as a separate god or through a subcult of Orlanth. A couple of basic observations:

(1) I think that the Larnsti form a heroband. They are also a cult, sub-cult, hero cult, whatever the right term is in HQ.

(2) Broyan is the leader of the heroband. Maybe all Larnsti are part of the heroband, maybe not. If you want another Larnsti band somewhere, let me know. Otherwise, I don't think it is important.

(3) The Larnsti were formed by Hendreik the Free to resist the Bright Empire. They succeeded in resisting Lokomayadon (I recall that the Hendreiki were not effected by the Evil Year), and helped Vargast (largely indirectly), Harmast, and Arkat.

(4) Hendreik is the guardian, wyter, whatever of the Larnsti heroband at Whitewall. Through Hendreik, the Larnsti have access to some of magic - which includes some sort of change magic (some sort of Be Free magic) and some sort of combat magic (probably from Orlanth). Some Larnsti have better magic than this.

(5) Andrin's reforms supplanted the Larnsti in the traditional role of protectors of the Hendreiki Liberty and as source of Hendreiki kings. This ultimately weakened the Larnsti in some way. Broyan helps revitalize the Larnsti.

I don't think that this conflicts with the given sources and definitely works for the WW mythic subplots I'm trying to put together. And it makes them a pretty cool Orlanthi heroband.

On to your specific points:

>>The Hendriki people of Heortland. A king in exile, though.

> Most of the Hendriki of Heortland think the Kings that
> succeeded Andrin were their rightful kings.

With perfect hindsight, it is arguable whether they were still Hendreiki. Maybe Andrin was still king of the Hendriki and not just king of Heortland. Maybe not. However, Rikard is not king of the Hendriki.

> >Which is our working premise right now. Jeff's main concern is the
> >heroband following Broyan, not the brotherhood itself.
> I get the opposite impression when Jeff claims that Broyan's heroband
> is the entire Larnsti. At the start of this thread, I said "For this
reason
> I don't believe that Broyan is allied with the Larnsti as a whole but
> with some Larnsti". But he rejected that.

If you want another Larnsti heroband out there, let me know. I don't think that there are zillions of Larnsti wandering around Heortland pointlessly. I'm cool with Broyan being the leader of the Larnsti heroband. Maybe there are some unaffiliate Larnsti, maybe not. I don't think it is terribly important.

> >I contend that the only Celestial Court deity with initiates is
> >Uleria, and that only because she was greatly diminished (by her own
> >doing, as she offered herself to the Boggles).
> But Larnsti is no longer a Celestial Court deity - he's not even the
> Great God of Motion. Krarsht's bite was a very bad one.

I'll let the Godlearners quibble about that one.

> >Hendreik was an Orlanthi. King Andrin was an Orlanthi. Sartar was a
> >hero for Issaries, but receives worship as Orlanthi hero.
> There is no logical defect whatsoever. I clearly distinguished
between
> cult of Orlanth (initiate status of Orlanth or greater) and Communal
> worship of the Orlanthi pantheon (under which Hendreik, Andrin and
> Sartar are clearly such). Sartar is not part of the Orlanthi cult
but
> worshipped as a hero in the Orlanthi pantheon. He is listed in the
> same section as Vogarth the Strong Man who is not an Orlanthi.

It costs one hero point for a Heortling to worship Sartar and get his feat. I really don't care how you want to classify him - subcult, hero cult, whatever. That's rulespeech.

> >They have displaced the communal worship of the Spirit of Hendreik
> >from the Andrinic clan rites by their pharaonic version, I suppose?
> No. The Andrini still worship Hendreik.

But not correctly. Or somehow in a missapplied manner. Or ultimately Andrin is like a bad Supreme Court interpretation or amendment that ends up changing the constitutional framework that protects liberty. Direct election of senators or US v. Darby. Made sense at the time, but ultimately changed the framework. Andrin's reforms ultimately weakened the Spirit of Hendreik and their liberty.

> >We discussed that. He was in Esrolia after the Siege of Whitewall.
> >Jeff used Broyan's Change into a Hidden King of the Vingkotlings as
an
> >explanation.
> Except that Broyan's only apparent Larnsti power is his heroic
> escape. I would have thought that a Larnsti capable of transforming
> himself in such a way would have greater powers than Broyan's
> initiate level magic described in OiD.

I would have thought that Kallyr's Starbow could do more than what is described in OiD. Maybe Broyan has more abilities that aren't described in OiD.

> Secondly there were Vingkotling Kings in Volsaxar before Broyan
> and he owes his position in part to inheritance.

Sure about this?

 Jeff