Dragon Pass forces 1622

From: Svechin_at_...
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:28:31 EST

Gian

> Hy Martin!

Hello!

> I suppose you mean that the 6000 or so forces listed
> under heortland army are the remnants of the imperial
> forces which stormed WW in 1621.

Prior to Pennel Ford, which was a disaster for Imperial arms, the main army was the Army of Esrolia, that would have been the prime campaign force, give or take a few units, in the region in 1622. Add in the other bits and bobs and the force that is around Whitewall would have as its core:

Mirinite Cavalry            MC              500     PA(H)
White Leg               MI              1000        PA(V)
Stalwarts               MI              1000        HC
Drenthi Grims           Highlanders    1000         PA(A)
Lowland Horse           MC             500         PA(A)
Wing Temple         LC              500         CC
Doblian Dogeaters           LMI     Regular B   900     HC
Goldedge Foot               MI      Irregular C 900     PA(T)
Green Bows              LI      Irregular C 900     PA(T)
Bell Temple                 HC      Regular B   450     PA(H)
Jasper Phalanx              HI      Regular B   900     HC
Goldwave                    MC      Regular C   500     CC
Earth Axes                  MI      Regular B   900     SA
3rd Thunder Delta Slingers  LI      Irregular B 800     HC
Grimsoldiers                HI      Regular A   200     IB
Folorn Hope             LMI     Irregular C 900     HC
Gemline Watch               LMI     Irregular B 600(-400)   PA(A)
Doblian Minor Class
Karse Spears                MI      Regular C   1000        PA

> That would mean that probaly the full strength of
> those units at the peak of their efficiency (before
> the last gruesome attack) would total about 12000
> fighting men (and mercs)?
> plus 6-8000 labour, spectators, riff-raff and ruff?

Yes, a very strong field army. Est close to 15000 by the time you add in local mercs and supporters.

Add in other special units we know are at Whitewall, like the Seven ov Vistur, a siege unit - the one with the magical bridges and other groups and I think you have a fair summation of Imperial strength at the time. After the victory at Whitewall they push on with their campaign.

> Hi Martin, good to have you aboard - we need lunar reinforcements as
> the list seems to be dominanted by Orlanthi symps at the moment (Hi
> Jeff! ;).

Hi Dave, good to see you "Yaking" online again...:)

> We've been discussing potential Shargashi assaults and NPC's. Any
> thoughts...

Probably a vexilla recruited from house troops based in Alkoth and along the Erinflarth. Likely a special unit recruited by Tatius either as a form of Bucelleri style personal troops or by funds provided at the Imperial level for the assault.

> Also, is there a phalanx based out of Yuthuppa - I can't remember if
> it still exists?

Yuthuppa has no phalanx, except in the Garrison Army, which is not likely to see field service except under dire Empire wide threat. Yuthuppa produces marines and sailors mainly, with the Comet Seers being their most scary magical unit - see Mark's excellent write up in MOLAD.

> > Mirinite Horse Archers LC 500 PA(H)
>
> Horse archers in a swamp?????? I would have put some Darjini there
> myself. Oh well, at least they have a good source of feathers for
> their arrows.

Well, the river port ain't in the swamp is it? Besides there is a lot of flat terrain out there and the these guys are adept at that kind of fighting, they are recruited from the riverine lowlands of Saird. More patrol work that hunting ducks in the mud. BTW, there is no reason why a couple of special units of Darjiini wouldn't be there too, but they would not count towards Imperial strength as they would likely be employed by local lunar resources.

Martin Laurie