RE: Re: PEOPLE: Broyan and the Larnsti

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:30:17 -0800

Peter -

This is getting silly. If you have some grand Larnsti idea or plot that you think needs to be incorporated into Glorantha and that we're jeopardizing, by all means let us know. But don't insist that they are well-developed in the limited source material - because they aren't. Maybe Greg has some big ideas for them, but I doubt it. You might have some big ideas for them, but, as far as I can tell, you aren't articulating them.

> >(1) I think that the Larnsti form a heroband. They are also a
cult,
> >sub-cult, hero cult, whatever the right term is in HQ.
> Read the glossary. The distinction is important and not something
> that can be fudged to the extent that you do.

Peter - I suspect that pretty much every HQ game fudges around with this stuff. I do. David Dunham does (I know, I was gaming with him last night). I suspect Martin Laurie does as well. The singular virtue of HQ as a system is that it allows massive fudging around in the interest of telling the story. Whether the Larnsti are a cult, sub-cult, hero cult, or whatever is simply not that big of a deal at this point.

> >(4) Hendreik is the guardian, wyter, whatever of the Larnsti
heroband
> >at Whitewall.
> Hendreik is far too powerful to be a guardian of a mere heroband.

It is a powerful heroband, how about that? The Crimson Bat is the guardian of the Crimson Bat heroband.

>I would have thought that Kallyr's Starbow could do more than what is >described in OiD. Maybe Broyan has more abilities that aren't described
>in OiD.
>Maybe the Larnsti have many more abilities that aren't described in OiD?

I have no problem with that. I think that Hendreik provides them access to the Free affinity, which has a bunch of feats. Some Larnsti (like Sartar) go beyond just what Hendreik taught and get all sorts of cool Change magic, but I think most don't.

> > Secondly there were Vingkotling Kings in Volsaxar before Broyan > > and he owes his position in part to inheritance.
> If you have evidence to the contrary then post them. If you want to
> know what my sources are then ask. But simply asking whether
> I'm sure isn't very productive.

If you have a good source, I'm sure you'll tell us.:)

But otherwise, if it enriches Glorantha or propels our developing story in a cool and interesting way, it is a good source as far as I'm concerned. I personally think it is awfully darn strange for the Volsaxi to have been Vingkotlings for the last century or so. Unless there is a really good reason for that strangeness, I am inclined to reject it.

Jeff