Hero/sub cults

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 07:26:50 +0000 (GMT)

Hero/sub cults:
> Having game tested about a score of incarnations of
> hero wars and hero
> quest, I think this is just a game mechanic.

That's very reassuring to know, because in contexts other than this, I'm getting extremely confused about the difference. The conclusion I've reached so far is that whether something is a herocult or a subcult depends on the POV of the person trying to join it. But I was about to drop that conclusion and try again :(

Trying desparately to explain it to myself in Gloranthan not rules terms (because if it can only be explained in rules terms, it's just a game mechanic), I came up with the idea that if you have a sub/Hcult of Fred, associated in some way with Big God Tom, then as a hero-cult, you're following Fred, and as a sub-cult, you're following that aspect of Tom that Fred used to worship, which is not available through any other route. Does that start to make any kind of sense, or do I go back to the drawing board again?

And should this go back to the HQ list? Or the Glorantha list?

Jane Williams