A Wiki WhiteWall Tip

From: Jimbruce <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:40:58 -0000

Wiki WhiteWall is evolving constantly. Our highly trained team of trollkin scribes access the site from a variety of different time zones.

Your web browser can *sometimes* get confused by this, and show you a Wiki WhiteWall page that is 12 hours or a day old. Whether this problem manifests seems to depend on your system, browser set-up and even your ISP's cache policy.

I have the following problem on my home PC. Every time I open a new Wiki WhiteWall page, or open an editing window, I don't get the latest version unless I do a manual refresh. Luckily that's pretty simple on most browsers, - in Internet Explorer just hit 'F5'.

Try it a few times, and if you see pages changing when you do so, you need to develop a 'Refresh' habit. F5, F5. F5.

Also if you keep getting the following error message when you save a page:

Problem while updating **DOCUMENT**

PhpWiki is unable to save your changes, because another user edited and saved the page while you were editing the page too. If saving proceeded now changes from the previous author would be lost.

Now I have no problems at all with this on my work machine, but constant hassles on my home setup. Luckily, the solution is simple.

New page opens...F5. New editing window... F5.

F5! F5! F5!

Cheers

John