Re: Re: CHARACTERS: Broyan

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 12:10:49 +0000 (GMT)

> > I do not think that we should have the lead
> Orlanthi hero hate
> Orlanth. That seems wrong for the story.

But there is *something* odd about his relationship to Orlanth.

He's got all these Wind powers. Obviously a very dedicated Orlanthi. But, by OiD at least, he's worshipping Vingkot, not Orlanth.

Could it be that he thinks Orlanth has *already* let his people down? Before being "dead"?
And if so, does he resent Orlanth for that, or think it's time for Orlanth's people to support their god, since he obviously needs it?
Or both?

> Agreed. Give the man some quirks and blind spots,
> sure, but he's a man who fixes his mistakes.

So he has to be seen to make mistakes that can be fixed. Even if it's just losing his temper with someone, then apologising afterwards.

Quirks and minor flaws:
we already have his habit of swearing.

Can we make something of his relationships with women? The impression I get is that he just isn't into long-term relationships. Possibly he's one of those who's interested until he's "scored", then the challenge is gone. Crude, I know, but...? (Could explain why his friendship with Kallyr has lasted this long??)

He seems to be very good at inspiring Orlanthi. Is that magical, or personality, or what? Is it "real", does he mean it, or does it get turned on and off?

We said he seems to be in his 40s: so he's starting to get old. And won't admit it, is scared of it, scared of losing his edge?

Jane Williams