RE: Re: CHARACTERS: Broyan

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 08:45:19 -0800

Jane googles:
> This seems to be the name of an American president
> 1829-37 lived 1767 to 1845. Same guy?
> Scotch-Irish, orphaned in the Revolution, military
> hero, duellist. "He was one of the greatest of
> generals, and wholly ignorant of the art of war",
> someone said. One of his duels was fought over a
> gambling incident, so we can add that to Broyan's list
> of low-class hobbies.

Yep. Jackson is a fascinating figure and more than one political scientist has concluded that it is the Jacksonian strain in American politics that so confuses, disturbs and frightens Europeans.

For background, he was the Hero of the Battle of New Orleans (the most important battle fought between the US and the UK in the War of 1812 - after the peace treaty ending of the war was already signed), responsible for the Trail of Tears (the relocation of the Five Civilized Tribes from the southeast to what became Oklahoma), and was the first populist president in US history. Fascinating figure - dueled, gambled, swore (but didn't drink or whore) - his political foes thought he was a murderous maniac and his supporters (and he was wildly wildly popular) thought he was their hero and savior.

He was aggressive, ambitious, easily-angered, arrogant, believed in conspiracy theories, conservative, devious, dominating, a dueler, someone who personalized disagreements, proud, rash, and stubborn. He was also charismatic, compassionate, courtly, dignified,dutiful, gallant, generous, honest, hospitable, humorous, intelligent, kind, pragmatic, self-confident, and with a profound sense of honor. Most importantly, he has a deep and enduring commitment to liberty. All of this could be applied to Broyan as well.

> Yes, lots of things we can borrow here.
> "He was also the first president to be the target of
> an assassination attempt, albeit by a madman who
> thought he was heir to the British throne."
> Read "Sartarite"....

There is a lot more to this assassination attempt - include two misfires and the resulted in the President having to be dragged away after trying to club the assailant to death with his cane.

 Jeff