Re: Imperial Army ranks

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 23:54:16 -0000

> Fine, go ahead. Enjoy. Just make the end result
> meaningful and useable without assuming the reader
> knows what titles in *any* army mean, whether that's
> modern, ancient, or Gloranthan.

I don't wish to pre-empt anyone elses thoughts or processes, but I've an inkling that the final result will be something along the lines of:

COMMANDER
"Warlord of the Imperial Army"--given the post as a function of his commanding the siege; small bit about Dara Happan rank as character fluff for Jorkandros and Tatius.

2-3 DEPUTIES
Holding the same rank as all the other regimental officers in the army, which is after all the highest permanent rank outside of any administrative posts or Warlordship; but empowered as sub-commanders of elements of the force simply as a function of the COMMANDER saying so, and thus other regimental commanders having to obey.

If they're Solar (or even of other cultures), they may secure 'fluff ranks', but I would suggest that other officers followed them as they were the COMMANDER'S *chosen intermediaries*, not because of any D-H or other rank. I suppose I view them as being an extension of Jorkandros or Tatius, not an independent lower commander. But strongwilled  chaps might...

~10ish REGIMENTAL COMMANDERS
Who are all of equal rank in the scheme of things but argue interminibly among themselves over precedence and tradition.

So I wouldn't worry. At an overall level I see it as being that simple. Donald? Alex? Martin? Dave? Gian?

This is basically what is intimated in ILH for the 'Lunar' system of command, as far as I can see. Rather than being rigid actual ranks, subsidiary officers are empowered to act on the Warlord's authority as he sees fit, I'd guess. Naturally he'd try and get his favourites, but other political decisions ay hold sway.

How Tatius and Jorkandros would react to their position, and manifest a solar influence, I don't know. Well I have ideas, but I'll save them for applying to the above IMG!

Cheerio,

Stu.