Re: Imperial Army ranks

From: Gianfranco Geroldi <giangero_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 02:45:38 -0800 (PST)

> > I'm looking for a way of indicating to the
> > average reader
> > whether a particular officer is in command of a
> > couple of regiments
> > of militia or twenty regiments of the Emperor's
> > finest.
>
> And telling us what you mean by the word "regiment"
> would help, too. Is that 100 troops? 1000? 10,000?

regiment is a unit (a Legion in the classical Imperial Rome); it's a military designation that indicates at which level the head quarter of an army moves around troops. You can't have a HQ of an army composed of 10.000 fighting men saying: that squad (10 men frex) goes there, that other squad does that thing. You have the HQ moving regiments/units on the board of his army theatre of action.

A regiment at full strength could well encompass several thousand men, and a severely weakened regiment could indicate a hundred survivors or so. Averagely (and for simplicity's sake) a regiment is composed of 500 to 1000 fighters, usually and IMO.

> Yes, please!
> The titles are colour.
> "Takes orders from..."
> "Gives orders to..."
> "Commands a total of X troops"
> That's meaningful.
> Saying a title means the same as some other title
> we've never heard of either doesn't help.

I hope the above helps.
Gian

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - More reliable, more storage, less spam http://mail.yahoo.com