RE: Kings of Heortland

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 07:37:12 -0800

> I don't think any of the kings were Esvulari because the
Malkioni

> weren't appointed as Sheriffs and Nobles until after Rikard's
> ascension. Prior to that the Malkioni were excluded from
> such offices.

        Hmmm. I read what few sources are out there as being internally contradictory on this issue. Frex, "Yet with hindsight, the sheriffs were not fully-fledged Larnsti for they could only change the clans in one way - by adopting Malkioni ways". My resolution was that Esvulari Aeolians were appointed sheriffs prior to Rikard - Rikard appointed Rokari.

> There's no indication of Pharaonic events or controversies in
> the list nor is there any sign of menaces from the Print, the
> Praxians, the Wind Children, the Kitori, the Black Arkati
> and the Opening. Political crap can also be expected from
> Esrolia, the Shadow Plateau and God Forgot.

        Nope. Feel free to add some of these into it. I was trying to get a feel for the length of the reigns, numbers of kings, etc.

> I also think feel the circumstances surrounding Sartar's
> emigration was more significant than just a dispute with the
> king.

        I'm sure it was. I also think that is one of the few things that we can't flesh out, because whatever we write will be wrong - even if Greg has ok'd it. My suggestion is to keep Sartar an enigmatic mystery.

> So rather than the Hendreiki, Heortland and Esvulari phrases,

> I suggest the following thematic stages:

        No problem. I used the Hendreiki, Heortland and Esvulari reference more for coming up with the name of the king. I do not have a feeling for Esvulari names (they use -ith a lot) and I want the name list to evoke the slow shift towards the Aeolians.

> 1) Reformation. Starts in 1325. The Andrini Kings
establish

> the Nobles and the Sheriffs. Early attempts are slow,
although

> two Waves into Dragon Pass are noted (both around 1325 which
> is almost certainly a mistake).

        Classic internally contradictory sources. I've picked the first Wave to be around 1317 (with the death of Andrin) and the second to be 1325 with his return. I've had Andrin be king for a very long time so that these reforms can work. Like Augustus Caesar, Andrin outlived his foes and many of his foes' children. By the time he died, almost nobody could remember what things were like before him.

> Border disputes with the Kitori and God Forgot. These
> are essential in defining the Sixths within the Holy
> Country.

        Sure.

> Major problems with Jaldon Toothmaker late in this stage. I
> think the Heortlanders work in co-operation with Derik
Pol-Joni

> and also (re)-establish Knight Fort and the Marcher Barons.

        I have Knight Fort being much later - when the Esvulari influence has grown enough that knights are the norm. One of the things I'd like the kings list to do is have a curious lack of references to events outside of the Holy Country - which seems appropriate since despite its great population and wealth, Heortland just has not been much of a player in Sartar (except as a source of emigrants) and Prax (except for Knight's Fort).

> Ends in 1425 with the revolt of Hadrad the Green and the
> establishment of the Volsaxar. No attempt is made to
> conquer this or other pharaonic rebels (Kitori for the
> Shadow Plateau, Machine City for God Forgot, High
> Temple for Caladraland etc). Although the Volsaxar and
> the others are vehemently opposed to the Pharaoh, they
> stabilize the Holy Country magically and there is little
> strife between the Sixths and their corresponding rebel
> territories. A weakness is that in northern Heortland,
> the Volsaxar and the Kitori are adjacent to each other
> and the enchanted harmony of the Holy Country cannot
> prevent these rebel reservations from fighting each other.

        This works for me.

	>  The limits of the Sixths having been marked out, they

> experiment with philosophies from other sixths in order to
> explore their own element. Heortland takes upon Malkioni
> customs from God Forgot while the practices of other
> sixths are less marked but still discernable. This widens
> the gulf between the Sixths and their corresponding rebel
> reservations although Harmony still persists.
Here's where the use of the word "Malkioni" starts tripping us
up. We've got our own homebrewed Heortlending Malkionism - the Esvulari Aeolians - and we've got the God Forgot atheist sorcerers. My suggestion is that during the Classical Phase, the Esvulari Aeolians achieve social and political primacy in the kingdom (my explanation is that during the reign of the "Forever King" most of the sheriffs appointed are Aeolians, which filters its way up the ranks - by the end of his long reign, there are almost no non-Aeolian sheriffs, which means the future kings will be Aeolian) and the God Forgot atheist sorcerers start popping up in Heortlending cities and aren't stoned to death.

> A major consequence of this development is that the
> Larnsti Sartar undertakes a major transformation leaving
> the Heortland and the Holy Country, which happens in
> 1470 or so.

        Sartar should be more than just a Larnsti. He's a Larnsti hero - in touch with Larnste's Change magic on a level more profound than Hendreik or Andrin.

> The developments appear to increase the animosity
> between the Kitori and the Volsaxar. This flares into
> open war in which the Kitori at first overrun the
> Volsaxar. While the Holy Country dithers over how
> to restore the balance, Tarkalor frees the Volsaxar
> from their bondage.

        No disagreements here.

> The crowning development of the magical experimentations
> of this phase is Dormal's Opening the Oceans in 1580. It
> also marks the end of the phase.
> 3) Opening. The seas are opened. Each of the Sixths
> are visited in some way by outsiders. In Heortland's
> case, this is Malkioni knights. They disrupt the established
> constitution of the kingdom by their presence. By the
> time the Pharaoh disappears, the foreign knights are
> a significant political presence.

        This is reflected in the last few king entries. However, I think that much of the Heortlending infrastructure of sheriffs, barons and earls should already be entrenched Aeolian - the cultural and religious conflict between the Aeolians and Rokari (although substantial) is less than the conflict between theist Orlanthi and Rokari.

> The Pharaoh's disappearance also marks the release
> of the rebel reservations from the harmony of the Holy
> Country as they begin to look at ways of expanding
> their territories.

        Yep. Why don't you take a stab at put some blurbs into the kings list along these lines. And then let's name them!

        Jeff