RE: CHARACTERS: Broyan

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 08:45:23 -0800 (PST)

> From: "Jeff Richard" <richj_at_...>
>
> Again, going with the Old Hickory (or Cato the
> Younger if you prefer) there is nothing unusually
> about an ultratraditionalist being a major catalyst
> for change. The Larnsti in my interpretation don't
> focus on Change per se (although certainly there are
> some who do) but Freedom and Liberty (which empowere
> change). Think Jackson, Cato or Patrick Henry. A
> radical reactionary or a conserative revolutionary.

So, perhaps the common point is that they both (Vinkotlings and Larnsti) have a history of opposing foreign oppressors? Otherwise, they seem very different. For example, in their own organizational structure, Vingkotlings look to the High King; Larnsti barely organize themselves, much less anyone else. To my ming, this makes Larnsti very trustworthy for other Heortlings (and even Esvulari, perhaps) -- everyone knows they don't want power. Everyone knows that a Vingkotling leaders thinks of himself as High King. That's why I thought that Broyan wanted a Larnsti hero band with him; their very presence woudl be proof to some that Broyan intends to be a liberator, not an oppressor. I'd think they abandon him at some point.

> As for a complex Broyan, I think what the three J's
> (Jon, Jane and me) have been playing with is pretty
> complex.

Aye, he is. Much more like what I was thinking (without any specifics). That's what comes of (a) getting messages digested and (b) being behind even so.

I'd play up opportunities for hubris. I like the angle that he thinks he's going to be the savior of his people -- a messiah complex. Because he believes it, he willing to do things like invite in the Wolf Pirates; because he identifies the hopes of his people with his own actions, whatever actions he take must be right.

Chris Lemens

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - More reliable, more storage, less spam http://mail.yahoo.com