Re: Tor=Plateau? Tor=Rock?

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 12:59:16 -0000

[rapidly invalidating claims that he's busy--actually it's a lunch break]

Tor vs. Plateau: "I did not know that." (Eugene Levy voice from 'Best in Show').

I mustn't have been paying that much attention, as I originally thought people were referring to one and the same and was confusing the issue when people said things. In fact--he says in full display of his own idiocy--I was getting a bit confused as to why Joerg referred to a 'plateau' in reference to certain bits, as I thought his English was rather good... ;)

I like 'Tor' for the hillock, as war cries can sound and rebound from it.

> > If so, what is the name of the plateau/hill?
>
> Something -moor? Like Dartmoor, Exmoor, Ilkley Moor,
> and so on?

Out of interest, (an old) Roget has:

HIGH LAND, surface relief, height, highlands, heights, uplands, wold, moor, downs, rolling country; rise, bank, brae, slope, climb; knap, hill, eminence, mount, mountain; fell, scar, tor; mountain range, sierra, massif; ridge, hog's back, col, saddle; hilltop, summit; precipice, cliff; crag, bluff, steep, escarpment; chine, valley; mesa, plateau, tableland.

MONTICLE, knoll, hillock, hummock, hump, dune; barrow, mound, heap; tell; molehill, tussock, pimple.

Cheerio,

Stu.