Re: Tor=Plateau? Tor=Rock?

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:01:26 -0000

Oliver and Jane:
> "Moors" do that for me. The Hound on Dartmoor, the
> song about Ilkley Moor... "Fells" are just where I go
> walking.
>
> What associations do other people have?

I'm not entirely sure I can envisage exactly how the top of the plateau is structured at the moment, despite some rather evocative myths and descriptions to the contrary. So I'll hold off a bit. However...

If there were some deep ravines, or passages between rock karsts (caused by Helamakt forgetting where he put his alarm clock), I'd plead that we can use the term "[XXXXX]'s Ginnel". Or perhaps a 'ginnel' in relation to some important gap or narrow passageway between buildings or rock forms in Whitewall itself.

Usage of the word 'ginnel' would guarantee yourself a pint of bittermild  mix and packet of pork scratchings in pubs across Northern England.

:)

Stu.