RE: Ranks

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:08:46 -0800

Howdy guys -

> This was included in the table at Oliver's request to help those who
> aren't military historians. I don't think it should appear anywhere
else
> and I have every intention of using the New Pelorian ones myself.

I think this is a good idea. Martin is right - Gloranthan military ranks have little correspondence to modern NATO titles, but folk need to have some sort of conversion table. Even if it is wrong and misleading.

> >All a 2 star gen is is a warleader that has only been accepted by
two cities
> >of the Tripolis. He has the same authority over his army as a 3 or
1 star gen
> >IF he has no troops from the missing cities with him.
> So the hierachy published in Tarsh Wars is wrong, fine now we know.

I think this comes out of Greg's Battle of Night and Day material and post-dates Tarsh Wars. The Dara Happan general is given the 2 star banner because the Emperor wants to restrict his range of actions. Personally, I think very very few generals were given a 3 star banner - Jorkandros Blinder presumably had a 2 star banner (Alkoth and Yuthuppa). Maybe Tatius has all three.

No matter how cumbersome the Lunar system seems, it is a marvel of large-scale management compared to the Orlanthi, where every detachment becomes an independent command. Worse yet, Broyan has to show up at pretty much major engagement and be there in the center of the action - as a result, he can't tell the other military chieftains what to do. He has to rely on each military chieftain's good judgment. This is where Minaryth the Purple steps in, in my opinion. He may actually be what we would call the general for most of these battles - except he can't give orders, only advice. Some chiefs (like Broyan and Kallyr and some others) take his advice (after the Battle of Hofstarings' Flood, his reputation must be pretty good). Others ignore the suggestions of a Lhankor Mhy sage as irrelevant.

Jeff