(OT) Tor=Plateau? Tor=Rock?

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:34:51 +1100

At 07:01 PM 15/03/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>Oliver and Jane:
> > "Moors" do that for me. The Hound on Dartmoor, the
> > song about Ilkley Moor... "Fells" are just where I go
> > walking.
> >
> > What associations do other people have?

'Then ducks 'll cum and eat oop t'worms , on Ilkla Moor baht 'at'...'

Wandering way off topic here, but after revelations of my horse-thief great grandfather, its time to spread some dirt on my wife's ancestors. Good Yorkshire stock, Butterfield by name. Now the family were the attendants at White Wells, a bath house at Ilkley Moor, between 1820 and 1918. One of the great great uncles, William, has his own page in the annuals of high strangeness. One day about 1860 he turned up for work, the key turned round and round and round in the lock, and he spied 'fairies' or 'little green men' frolicking in the bathhouse. That the story got a good run at the time is evidenced by the fact that it still pops up in various collections of Forteana and UFO lore, which is where I first found it.

See: http://homepages.tesco.net/~sedlak/wwp18.htm

Family traditions suggest old William liked his porter. :)

Whitewall connections? Healing baths. Mineral springs. A cult healing centre.

Cheers

John