Re: Funerals?

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:29:42 +1100

Habitually, Lunars should return Orlanthi bodies, or at least the heads - via catapult over the walls once they're suitably green or brooed.

The Orlanthi will probably take heads after combats before the gates. (Question: *why* would they engage in combat before the gates? Why leave the walls? I'd like them to, especially in the summer of 1620, but we need rationales. To stop approaching siege engines? Would the Lunars issue challenges just to attrite defender numbers (and for the demands of hero tales for the Heartland)? Few Orlanthi could resist the challenge of hero combat. And there's heroquest cooption...

I can see various stages about returning bodies and funerary rites. The Iliad of course, uses them as major plot devices. It will depend a lot on who is running the siege. There may be occasional truces at first - both for body retrieval and funerary rites. That sacred, use-no-weapons wood will be the place to parley. But things get progressively more nasty.

I've suggested a burning ground and an 'eternal' pyre among the locales.

Ghosts on the walls? You betcha!

John