Re: Outside the gates?

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:23:09 -0000

> Air-borne battles, where some people land/crash in the
> wrong place?

Reading Chris' heroband (thirded), I thought there'd be great opportunities for piratical raids on the Lunar Moonboats. Sure, there might not be many of them, and their overall use low, but the thick 'eortlings don't know. And you ever know, an important band of Lunar officers might be aboard.

Anyway, that's only the beginning, as when they're onboard, things go a bit wrong. "Ummm, how do we stop this thing?" "Don't know boss!" "Right. And where are we going?" "Errr... south by reckoning?"

Naturally one might have to monkey about with the Moonboats' mechanics, or get a new source of propulsion very soon (magic/Mostali/carried on the winds etc.), but this could allow some fun, exotic sub-adventures, to break the "Right: what are we doing today, lads?" "Halting the endless assault, sir!" trend of the siege (not that it is necessarily like that, of course).

Perhaps a group of defenders disappear for a while. They are thought loast. When a Moonboat appears over Whitewall, flying not on the beams of the moon, but something else, a panic rises. But then out steps old Frungi, a little more suntanned than usual, and wearing a decidedly weird hat. Next thing you know, out jump a band of Pamaltelan Warriors/Trowjang Amazons/Porcupine People/Penguin Keets etc. to help the defenders.

Mind you, I love the "pulp and VSF" genre, and it tends to bury the "mythic resonance" angle IMG at times :)

Robur... I mean Stu.