Re: City Outline & Neighbourhoods - Sketch Map

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:48:12 -0000

Ian Cooper

> 1: The numbers on the DP:LoT map just follow previous maps. I would
> not read too much into them.

The population numbers before 1619 probably fluctuated strongly, too. If we have a city of "class 1 ruins" (using the Big Rubble terminology, which means basement completely intact, upper stories useable to some extent, roof may be leaky) most of the year, then these houses will be occupied whenever something unusual is going on in Whitewall.

Whitewall being the royal Volsaxi seat, there will be circuses, fairs, moots etc here.

> 2: The account of Whitewall describes it as a fortress that never
> became a city - so our isolated citadel fits that well.

"Never became a city" could mean that it never became more than an oversized king's fortress with barracks, utilitarian shops, stables etc. The permanent population of such a fortress might well have approached the 5,000 limit given Broyan's generous hosting of Sartarite rebels.

> 3: If you must have bigger numbers then as the foot of Tarkalor's
> Bridge (i.e. off our map) you could put in a Whitewall-Outside-The-
> Walls. The numbers on the DP:LoT map then include this temporary
> population. Outside the walls is started by refugees seeking safety
> under the walls of the old fortress. Of course without walls the
> Empire will overrun this area early in the siege (and the captured
> refugees may find themselves laboring in the Lunar siege works).

This won't work. Broyan retreats into the fortress without much of a rearguard action. Rumor being faster than light, the greatest part of the population of "Whitewall outside" will have entered the city by the time the last contingents ride in.

As the High King, Broyan has an obligation to let these people in. In turn, they have an obligaton to help defend the city.

I doubt that many of these people think of anything but the closest term: "the enemy is approaching! Grab what you need and what is valuable, and flee to the safe place nearby!"

> Still that gives a few 'battles on the plains opportunities' for
> John and later 5th column among the Lunars stories.

The Lunars will no doubt round up the work force from nearby villages, so we get this lever anyway.

> 4: Or just assume that the pop figure for Whitewall includes the
> besieging Lunar forces - they probably have a small city for their
> army camped at the foot of the great fortress.

We know that the Dara Happan style of warfare is similar to the Persians who faced Alexander. Concubines, pleasure tents, whatnot.

However, I don't think that the Lunar camp was included in the map.

> Or a mixture of the above. The main point here though is go with the
> story over one or two details in existing publications (hell you
> know what Greg would say about the numbers).

Full agreement with this.

So: Whitewall is a city ready for 10,000 permanent inhabitants, but even fully garrisoned won't use up all available living space. Lunar non-incendiary artillery bombardment of the city (probably ignorant of that fact) won't change the living conditions much for all but those suffering direct hits.

The Lunars will have several smaller field castra and somewhat more distant a hardly fortified town of tents, pavillons, wooden temples, a chariot race track and gladiatorial arena, possibly even a "field ziggurat" under construction for the greater solar magics. There will be something of a "shopping mall" in the Lunar camp possibly even used by disguised defenders. Anything the noble officers or the base soldiers want will be available for hard cash. Prices will be high. Except for the hard fighting, the siege could be a quite comfortable posting - as long as you have your pay to spend.

Without going down silly lane, there might even be cooking contests between the besiegers and the besieged. Psychological warfare is understood at gut level by the barbarians and some of the Lunar officers (like that Lodrili general).