Bat absorbing magic.

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:48:09 +0000 (GMT)

The other major problem with the Bat. It absorbs magic cast at it or its followers.

John's Hurricane (which I still think is the way to go) deals with this by never casting magic directly at it, "just" at the air round it. I'd like to look at alternatives.

I don't think this will work, but it may spark off ideas in others. I tried to imagine how our roleplaying group would handle something similar on a much smaller scale, in case it could be scaled up.

The ability to absorb magic is, conceptually at least, a Shield. So chuck a Shield Destroyer feat at it. If you win, ability to absorb magic destroyed. If you don't: magic absorbed as standard per Bat. But, this requires 15W5 of Shield Destroyer just to make the odds even. "Augmented up the wazoo" doesn't begin to cover it. We don't have that many Humakti in Whitewall, even before the Shargashi killed off most of them.

Next thought, that could apply to this (mis-)use of a Feat, or to other ideas. What counts as a success, and what modifiers you get, can vary, depending on what you're willing to accept. I've never figured out how the rules handle this, but I'm sure they should.

So in this case, the obvious "required results" would be: Bat's ability destroyed, caster unaffected.

How about we accept a little less?
a) Bat's ability knocked out for 10 minutes, then recovers.

b) Caster loses the Feat. Permanently.
c) Caster loses the *affinity*. Permanently.
c) Caster dies... they're Humakti, so I don't need to
say "permanently" this time.

This sort of thing might help us in augmenting things up to Bat level. And the defenders are quite desperate enough to make that sort of sacrifice. We don't want to kill off any of our major players, but second rankers, sure! Make it an option for PCs, too: you never know.

Jane Williams