RE: Batty batty batty

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:11:34 -0800

Roderick:

As an initial impression, I think your suggested approach is right. A few comments:

> Of course, the magical absorbtion is an Ability, and can be
beaten by

> anything of sufficient magnitude. So if you can crank up a
Xw5+ magical

> effect, you have a chance to stop the bat cold (Of course,
"Absorb magic"

> might be augmented with something else, like "Large 15w7" for
a +16...)

        This is why I think that the magical event is a (very limited) manifestation of the Thunderer. Similar to what occurred at the Battle of Night and Day. Broyan becomes Vingkot to smack the Bat. His chainmail is strengthened by the prayers of every Heortling woman, and in his sword howled a hundred men (the prayers of our Humakti). For personal service, a gale bore each boot, and a wind which was ice swore to die for the king that day (the product of a recent heroquest). Or something remarkably similar to that.

        If I recall, the war cry of the ancient High Kings was something on the lines of: "Flee before me. I bear Justice and Death. Flee, or be crushed by the Great Sound." Among Umath's many titles is the Great Sound - which does not sound Bat-friendly.

> I think a series of Thunderclaps (while the 'clap might be
magically

> produced, the sound it makes isn't, otherwise you'd have
horrendous

> "Multiple target" penalties!) that act like strobe lights on
the Bat's Sonar

> would probably do as well or better. And accompanied with
Lightning to act

> as *real* strobing lights, you can kill off it's eyesight as
well. Orlanthi

> can probably get "Mundane", Umbroli and Kolating Lightning to
work on

> multiple planes of sight & sound. If they could get Sorcerous
lightning as

> well... Some hail would probably help, at least against the
humans on its

> back, so break out the Hedkoranthi. High winds to help buffet
the bat and

> disorient the priests and guards. In the midst of the
howling,

> lightning-rent, hail-pelting storm come Our Orlanthi Heroes
(suitably

> augmented and empowered in all their Hero-Light) riding the
winds.

        Yep. This is exactly the right picture.

> A massive
> fight develops on the back of the bat. Which, incidently,
goes into a

> series of death-rolls, dives, spins, etc to shake the
interlopers off -

> while it is blind and deaf and buffeted by high winds! It
could easily fly

> straight into the ground/side of a cliff.

        Exactly! This is why I think that the Bat doesn't just fly away - I think it cacks it right there beneath the walls of Whitewall (shades of those Vingkotling age battles).

> This storm should also help to drive off any Lunar fliers
that are running

> defence for it.
> As you can see, this storm will require the aid of many
devotees/priests to

> coordinate and empower. Rituals galore!

        And much opportunities for player character action! I think this is the model we should be using.

        Jeff