Re: Batty batty batty

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:51:30 -0800

> The afore-mentioned scarey friend in black thinks a
> seriously augmented "decapitate foe" would be good.
> She's out of her mind.

Use "Exorcise Chaos Demon" from Belveran the Chaos Cleanser subcult of Ernalda the Healer (even though "Demon" isn't listed in the list of feats, I'd allow a person to spend a HP to acquire it...)

> Of course. A mere 15W5 isn't enough to deal with, you
> have to bring this up. Do the rest of us get to
> augment magical abilties with physical size, then? All
> magicians start shovelling burgers :)

It would depend on the actual magic used, of course - a single lightning strike might not be enough to bring down the bat. (I'm flashing on some movie of a huge airplane or rocket (maybe that crappy mid-80's Flash Gordon - the one with the soundtrack by Queen?) coming on through the smoke after taking hit after hit.

> > I think a series of Thunderclaps ..
> > that act like strobe lights on the Bat's Sonar
> > would probably do as well or better. And accompanied
> > with Lightning to act
> > as *real* strobing lights, you can kill off it's
> > eyesight as well.
>
> How do our human heroes manage to operate in this?

Very Carefully :-). Actually, any Air hero worth his salt should be able to fight in the worst storm, whether it's through his own abilities ("Fly in Storm") or the prayers and support of his community.

> > In the midst of the howling,
> > lightning-rent, hail-pelting storm come Our Orlanthi
> > Heroes (suitably
> > augmented and empowered in all their Hero-Light)
> > riding the winds. A massive
> > fight develops on the back of the bat. Which,
> > incidently, goes into a
> > series of death-rolls, dives, spins, etc
>
> Sounds/looks wonderful! We've got to get the mechanics
> for this sorted, it's far too good to lose.
>
> And personaly I still like the idea of starting off
> with the vacuum to stop the Scream: once you release
> the vacuum you'll have all the thunder-clap you could
> ask for.

I think the vacuum idea has merit. The Bat approaches, and Orlanth sucks in his breath preparatory to releasing this humongous storm that the priests are brewing. It's like the tide racing out just before a Tidal Wave, leaving boats high and dry (for a few minutes...)

RR
- Richelieu