Re: The Seven Winds & Orlanth in Whitewall

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 00:35:01 +0000 (GMT)

> The challenge is to find and agree on a definitive
> list of the Seven Storms.
> The only other mention of them in TR is on 27 (not
> 227 as the index
> states). Its about Orlanth's camp, and names his six
> guardians set about the law Rock of Kero Finn.

Reading TR27, I notice the great similarities between Orlanth's Camp and that of Umath KoS p61 (not surprising, really!)

Combined version: Umath gets square brackets, Orlanth curly ones

[Umath]{Orlanth} took for himself the Middle Air as his realm, and set about to make his [own camp]{home}. This is [Umath's home]{Orlanth's camp}, whch no-one can enter unless the are invited. It is a secret place, and [Ratslaff]{Eurmal} was killed when he told others of it.
First [Umath]{Orlanth} placed, in the center, the Law Rock{, Kero Fin}. From there, he organised the rest of the construction. He sent the Six Guardians to their directions, where each set up their own watch station.

{These six are Ohorlanth, in the northwest, Valind, in the northeast, Urox, in the southeast, and Heler, in the southwest. Up above he sent Odayla the Storm Bear, and down below he sent Humakt, God of the Dead.}

Then, by the center, [he]{Orlanth} lit the sacred fire.
[Then] he appointed officers, and gave each of them their place to sleep around the fire. These are the officers of the camp: watchman [,]{and} porter, scout [,]{and} healer, fireman [,]{and} cook, foodman [,]{and} waterman, caster and singer.

Umath's Camp then goes on with "The First hospitality", which is a description of the Greeting ceremony.

Of course, the other similar list that takes this form is that of "Kallyr's Companions", KoS p 235, which as I'm sure we all know by now, lists all the "officers" above and names those holding those positions, with the exception of the Foodman.

*IF* we're using this definition of the Seven Winds, (probable, but not yet certain) then I'd suggest that we're also using the Officers. And, therefore, we've just discovered when "Kallyr's Companions" actually occurs.

But... is it actually *Kallyr's* companions? Could it be that for once in KoS, she's getting credited with someone else's deeds instead of vice versa? (This is Jalk's Book, not CHDP). The "leader" position at Whitewall, the Orlanth/Umath equivalent, is Broyan, not Kallyr. I'd suggest a slight edit to the first two positions listed.

current:
"Leader: Kallyr Starbrow Loriconsdotter" should be:
Leader: Broyan (plus titles)

current:
"Watchman: Insterid Fire Eyes, of the Blackrock" Insterid is one of Kallyr's followers, a Vinga Avenger Devotee, with no "watchman" skills.
Put Kallyr, with "Initiate of Rigsdal 4W2", in the Watchman slot.

And then assume that the original got miscopied by someone who not only left out the Foodman for reasons unknown, but also refused to accept Kallyr in any position but that of leader.

Jane Williams