storms and winds

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 08:05:29 +0000 (GMT)

> Now, back to the storms and winds, noting again
> John's
> quote of TR 241 and the explanation on TR 128 that
> Storms and Winds are frequently confused (implying
> that they are different things).

Good point.

> I think that Orlanth has seven storms: Daylanus,
> Hedkoranth, Helamakt, Ohorlanth, Vingkot, and Yavor
> all take the Storm affinity from Orlanth's
> Thunderous
> aspect, plus Vinga, whose Defender Storm subcult is
> the only ST subsult that has the Storm affinity
> other
> than Valind (see below). These are all "parts" or
> "children" of Orlanth.

Yep. Makes sense.

> There are also seven primal winds -- Orlanth, Valind
> (as heir to Vadrus), Urox, Humakt, Brastalos, and
> Kolat are six of them. None of these are parts or
> children of Orlanth. All are siblings. Orlanth's
> missing sibling is Ragnaglar, who won't be showing
> up (on Orlanth's side anyway).

We hope not.

> Also, I found a couple of myths that might apply to
> what Broyan was planning when he emptied out
> Whitewall. All of this is speculative.
>
> The first is obviously the LBQ. Sure, Orlanth dies,
> but we know how he came back. This seems to fit
> because it leaves Vingkot in charge. The problem
> with
> that one is that you need someone to go on the LBQ
> representing Orlanth. Is there an Argrath around?

Anyone could do a lesser version of the LBQ (in fact it looks as if this is just what Kallyr does to end the Fimbulwinter), but I like your other suggestion.

> The second is in TR 146. In this myth, Orlanth gets
> tricked into leaving by a conspiracy of his
> brothers,
> and Vingkot eventually calls him back with a
> sacrifice.

And *then* we get the Great Darkness described as a great winter, and Orlanth doing an LBQ to fix it.

> though having Orlanth tricked by his brothers seems
> a bit odd. Perhaps Broyan identifies Kallyr as
> Orlanth
> and tricks her into leaving? That might be why KoS
> 235 identifies her as the leader.

Yes! Also sets things up for Iceland: Broyan organsies the fighting, Kallyr's off retrieving Voria.

"all of his brothers conspired, and helped by a thief and trickster they caused Orlanth to be outlawed".

Kallyr *has* a Trickster.

We're already building up a list of political tensions and people who dislike her.

I think this could work very well indeed. A plot Broyan and Kallyr would come up with, kept very secret indeed. Those two would know what was really going on. Minaryth might. But to everyone else, the tricking and outlawry would be real. Ow. Ow. OW. For someone who depends that much on loyalty to and from followers, that is going to *hurt*.

Jane Williams