Re: Bat crash

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:36:59 +0000

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 07:48:39AM +0000, Jane Williams wrote:
>  --- Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...> wrote:
> > I believe that amount corresponds to the energy
> > release from about a 4.8.
>
> Does that translate as "too much"?

Googling away merrily (hey, I live in just as active an earthquake zone as you, be fair!), I find:

: Earthquake Severity
:
: Richter Earthquake
: Magnitudes Effects
:
: Less than 3.5 Generally not felt, but recorded.
:
: 3.5-5.4 Often felt, but rarely causes damage.

:

: Under 6.0 At most slight damage to well-designed buildings.
: Can cause major damage to poorly constructed buildings
: over small regions.
etc. OTOH, I'm not volunteering to be _under_ it when it flumps.