Tatius the Bright and the Assiday clan

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:57:18 -0800

The Bat-Blat leads me to start thinking about the main Lunar leader - Tatius the Bright. This is what we know of the guy frp, CHDP: pg. 148:
"At Whitewall the commander [Jorkandros the Blinder] ordered the Crimson
Bat to assault the city and exterminate the defenders, whom he called
"the last Orlanthi". Astonishingly, the Bat was repelled, though at
great cost to the defenders. Jorkandros Blinder was replaced by Tatius the Bright, dean of the Lunar Field School of Magic...

Whitewall was more important religiously than it was militarily, hence Tatius the Bright had been given command. This stronghold was believed to be the last city of Orlanth, the god who was rival to the Red Goddess of the empire. To take it would end the worship of Orlanth in all cities: a great victory. Tatius spared no preparation for the assault and naturally got special magicians from the emperor. Fazzur, Tatius' nominal commander, had no part in this battle."

pg. 150:
"Tatius the Bright was a Priest of Yelm, and also the dean of the Lunar
Field School of Magic. He was responsible for maintaining the remarkable Lunar field magicians as the weapons which they could be. He was no lazy administrator, but a skilled strategist and tactician, and a skilled fighter in personal combat. He was highly placed and regarded in the Church of the Sun, and traced his own lineage to the Emperor Yelm.

Tatius was also a member of the powerful Assiday family, of Raibanth. He had assisted his incompetent cousin [Euglyptus] for years - some say he was the real power behind the fat man. Tatius considered the loss of command of the army to be a deep shame for his family."

So our man Tatius is an energetic and skilled leader, descended from Yelm (and presumably can name numerous DH Emperors amongst his ancestors) and a member of the powerful Assiday family (or league or whatever we are calling these Lunar networks) of Raibanth, Tatius is part of and maybe the leader of the Lunar faction that seeks to rid the world of Orlanth. I suspect that he is the single most connected imperial figure in Dragon Pass and considers Fazzur, Pharandros and Moraides to be beneath him. I do not get a feel for how old he is - maybe in his early 40s? That would make him a nice parallel to Broyan.

Have people put much thought into the Tatius or the Assiday? Nick - is the Assiday clan an embarrassing oversight from Moonson?

Jeff