Re: Re: The BatBlat

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:29:00 -0800

Philip says:

> Fantastic! Marvellous! I want to narrate it! Yes, but... I think
> you've completely failed to comprehend the size of this thing. At this
> point in time, it's (roughly) 1km long, yes? Then it's wingspan is *at
> bare minimum* 2.5km - possibly as long as 4km. Assuming the Thunderclap
> goes off just before the Bat enters Screaming range, the Bat is already on
> an "attack vector" with Whitewall (since the Scream doesn't travel much
more
> than the Bat's body length). So unless it's doing a kamikaze dive, it's
> roughly level with Whitewall - an altitude of about 1,000ft (???). This
> close to touchdown, *tilting* the Bat along its wingspan axis by around 2
> degrees is going to ground one of its wings. What you describe is
> absolutely wonderful and full of flavour. But it would need to start at
an
> altitude in excess of 50km and I just don't see that happening.

Except that bats are not necessarily Gliders. As a matter of fact, they are extremely agile, and can fold their wings very close to their bodies in flight (which is how they steer). The Bat isn't the same as a B-52 bomber, though that sort of imagery is often used (if only subconsciously).

RR
- Richelieu