Re: Re: The BatBlat

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:59:54 -0800

"Fast forward motion" and "Agile" aren't necessarily related (or unrelated).

"Ponderous" is how most people view the Bat - inexorable as a fully-laden supertanker, with the turning radius to match, but bats are incredibly agile, able to spin, turn on a dime, etc. The wings of the bat are used not only for propulsion and lift, but maneuvering as well (unlike birds, which use their tails a lot more for maneuvering). And hey, the bat can be "slow" and still be stupendously wierd - think of a 10-second barrel-roll, or the Zero-G moment as the bat reaches the top of a climb and heads for the deck!

I tried to find stop-motion photgraphs of bats in flight on the web, but came up dry.

RR
- Richelieu

http://www.eparsnip.f2s.com/phpwiki/index.php?FrontPage