The Bat

From: Oliver Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:21:16 -0600

Everyone makes some valid points re: our batty friend. My biggest problem with a fast, agile bat is that for the last 23 years (my God, am I really that old?:-( ) I've based my perception of the Bat on how Cults of Terror described it in 1981:

"The select rode upon The Bat itself; the rest, mostly initiates and prospective fodder, kept pace on the ground in a long caravan paralleling the flight of the creature. It flew no faster than a horse could walk, and its enormous wings flapped at an awesomely slow rate; no non-magical beast could have so stayed aloft."

I realize this doesn't mean The Bat can't be fast or agile. And that certainly would make for a Star Wars sort of assault. A fast Bat would be an even more awesome weapon than a slow one though so I don't think that's the case. Plus the slow, inexoriable approach of a slow-flying monstrosity makes for some lovely tension too. That's the sort of Bat that I vote for anyway.

Oliver