Re: Re: The BatBlat

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 12:14:11 -0800

> I've got no problem visualizing it just a problem accepting it. The
> problem is that zipping and looping like a real bat is so...damned
> undignified. It creates mental images of the Bat priests hanging on
> for dear life while the Bat goes through enough aerial manuevers for
> a WW I dogfight.

The whole reason for this discussion was Phil's contention that the bat couldn't perform the "shake off the pesky interlopers" maneuvers close to the ground. I say "Sure it can - it's a bat. They can do this sort of thing". (And trying to point out that it need not be as close to the ground as he suggested).

> Okay I'll accept that the Bat can do this. I don't think it normally
> does so though. Why? Because it's got no reason to do so. It's not
> chasing insects, it's supposed to swoop down on towns, herds, etc.
> and slaughter them. I'm just as happy with the Red Zeppelin
> imagery.

Does it zip around all the time? no. But it's not a soaring/gliding animal, it moves by flapping it's wings, not holding them rigid. The imagery of the bat flying should be of its wings going "whoomp whoomp whoomp". Not of a gliding animal (might as well be the Crimson Flying Squirrel, then).

> The other thing to keep in mind is that Chaos has transformed it so
> there's no reason why it has to have retained any bat traits other
> than the shape. (And yes that begs the question, Why is it a Bat
> then? Why not something else? A giant mosquito would be gross. I'm
> sure that I could round up at least one that size somewhere in
> Manitoba:-) Well, it's a bat because it is a bat.

Chaos creaures (usually, not always) have a feature of their body that explains their particular ability - a broo with Jumping usually has some sort of wierd animal legs (flea, kangaroo, frog...). Or, "just because it's a *chaos* bat, it doesn't cease to be a bat."

> For the purposes of this story all the Bat has to do is fly up
> (whether quickly or slowly, and I can easily accept that it moves 1
> 1/2 times as fast as a horse, that's still slowish flying for
> something that big) and attack the Citadel. Nothing fancy involved.
>
> I doubt that it would try and avoid any flying attackers because it
> wouldn't expect them to be any threat. Co-operative snacks, who'd
> have thunk it?

The problem is when they land on its back and give it the cross between an allergic reaction and a bonco-buster getting in the saddle for the first time.

It is capabale of doing incredible acrobatics even close to the ground. And the priests get to use their "Ride Bat" ability to hang on, while the intruders don't. Undgnified? yep - the Lunars are hanging on for dear life and hoping that the interlopers are eliminated quickly, so they can get back to the job at hand.

> Since the Bat may be rushing to the siege (moving close to 500 miles
> a day?) I suspect that the Bat's entourage (the Baterage? Hmm, maybe
> not) in this case might be moving in moonboats so that they can get
> to the siege at the same time the Bat does. The other option is that
> the Bat leaves its snacks and snack handlers far behind fully
> expecting to get a good nosh in at WW.

Depending on how big the bat is, I expect that the Priests and Guards are just riding on its back. It doesn't need a slave caravan of snacks following it all the time - the guards will round up appropriate snacks if they plan to stay a while.

RR
- Richelieu