Re: The BatBlat

From: Oliver D. Bernuetz <bernuetz_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 20:33:37 -0000

Roderick said:

> The whole reason for this discussion was Phil's contention that the
bat
> couldn't perform the "shake off the pesky interlopers" maneuvers
close to
> the ground. I say "Sure it can - it's a bat. They can do this sort
of
> thing". (And trying to point out that it need not be as close to
the ground
> as he suggested).

Oh I agree with you that it wouldn't have to be close to the ground. It's attacking a citadel on top of a hill after all. There's no reason for it to be low to the ground.

It wouldn't have to do much in the way of maneuvering to shake interlopers off though. Think of landlubbers on a ship. They're in an unaccustomed environment and the Bat priests would certainly have the edge. Even gentle rocking from side to side would inconvenience the attackers. I suppose it doesn't even have to do speedy maneuvers, even a slow roll would be deadly.

> Does it zip around all the time? no. But it's not a soaring/gliding
animal,
> it moves by flapping it's wings, not holding them rigid. The
imagery of the
> bat flying should be of its wings going "whoomp whoomp whoomp". Not
of a
> gliding animal (might as well be the Crimson Flying Squirrel, then).

I dunno it's still strikes me as freakier if it flapped really slowly.

Oliver