Re: Simple Question re The Bat

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 17:23:52 +0200 (CEST)

Howard:
> New here. Doesn't seem to be a happy place, but I'll stay a while and see
> if it's always like this.

The list is the place for getting things sorted out, if needs be by arguments. Usually we are a happy group, here.

> I have a question regarding the Bat. What exactly is it intending to do
> when it attacks Whitewall? Gobble everybody up one by one (in small
> mouthfuls), suck them in all at once (in one gigantic mouthful), squash
> them or something worst?

I think that its usual tactic is to make the intended food defenseless with its scream and gobble up what can easily be swallowed by the masses (possibly in a single sweep), then, like a vampire bat, lick up all the juicy bits that didn't fit into the jaws at once. Think of it treating the ruins of a city like a vampire bat licking the cattle neck below its bite.

However, the Runegate entry in DP:LoT seems to assume a giant swallowing attack only, or why did only those sheltering below the Luck Gate survive?

> I kinda envisioned that the Bat Attack involved eating people but maybe
> that isn't how it works. Or maybe this has already been covered in an
> earlier post?

Nope, you're the first to point this out. Not that the defenders have much of an idea how the Bat's attack looks and feels. Or is there any Runegate survivor in Whitewall?