Re: Digest Number 81

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 22:21:50 +0100 (BST)

> So what do we do now? We've got a good start but
what's the next step? Do we need to define areas that need work, do we want to set "shudder" deadlines or should we just keep on going as we have been?<

We have an outline let's start detailing. (to be honest the new job makes tracking email discussion hard anyway).

My Gloranthan project experience so far suggests that Whether we succeed or fail will probably ultimately depend at least a core handful of individuals being happy to commit time and enthusiasm to writing material not just trading ideas. I've seen more than one 'community project' fail because enthusiasm never carried over into delivery.

I suggest that we get people to volunteer for jobs, agree deadlines and if missed renegotiate or ask if we can recover the job and re-assign (we're all volunteers, life intrudes, usually better to throw in the towel so it can be picked up). Once picking no longer keeps making an impact on the to do list, ask folks to volunteer to be assigned tasks. Eventually some of the people who turn out to be the core contributors may have to 'fill in the cracks'.

Think long term. I expect the process to take 6 months at least. Set the first milestone shorter though, let's say 1-2 months.

Happy to volunteer for:
1 month
The Night Jumpers.
Something on Garan the star lover of Serias and his 'lighthouse'

2 months
The AoT and Esvulari at the siege.

My advice - don't overestimate how much you will have time to do.

Thoughts?

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)07970-411892 (M)0207-337-6217 (W)

"Give the kids tools, so they can go build their own houses; not the blueprint of what the houses should be." Tori Amos